…so, what is there left to eat when you remove sugar (natural sugars occurring in fruits & vegetables included), dairy, carbohydrates & grains? Actually more than you think ;)
Full list of foods allowed can be found here. We’ve followed it by the book with just a few exceptions: 1) we cut out dairy completely, so we have not incorporated the live yogurt cultures allowed (taking daily probiotic capsules instead) 2) we’ve also not used stevia or xylitol as sweeteners. I still see those as processed & they are empty calories (no nutritional value) so we didn’t see the need.
Full list of foods to avoid can be found here. Again, we’ve followed this very closely with a few exceptions: (there is conflicting information out there on chickpeas & low sugar berries) 1) we’ve kept hummus in our diet 2) I’ve allowed myself a daily espresso 3) on day 14 we treated ourselves to raspberries (a low sugar fruit).
Back to the food! We’ve had so much fun cooking and will definitely keep these recipes in weekly rotation post cleanse!
I’ve been alternating between the following recipes to start my day:
Kale breakfast bowl (soft scrambled eggs, kale & avocado/kale pesto) The pesto is a variation of this recipe, omitting the pine nuts & yeast: kale, olive oil, avocado, basil, lemon juice, garlic)
Avocado pancakes w/egg (sunny side up) I followed this recipe exactly, but omitted the lemon parsley butter. My husband is not a huge avocado fan & he loves these too! Especially great after a big workout & totally satisfied my “carb craving” around day 3 or 4 of the cleanse. Highly recommend! (more deets on the turkey sausage in last photo ahead!)
Turkey & sage breakfast patties I followed this recipe exactly too, with just a few additions (paprika & cinnamon). These have been our “weekend treat” during the cleanse & also very tasty! I’ve never used ground turkey in recipes, but now have a whole new appreciation for it!
Re-purposed dinner leftovers (recipes to follow in the dinner section) My theory? Have dinner leftovers? Add an egg to it an make it breakfast the next day! Throw in some avocado if you’re feeling decadent :)
Kale & beef bowl w/egg
Skillet peppers & tomatoes w/egg
Snacks have been pretty straight forward – a combo of celery & hummus and wild caught salmon salad on endive spears (with apple cider vinegar dijon mustard)
Lunch has been mainly dinner or breakfast leftovers, so I’ll just include dinner recipes here, divided by protein.
- Chicken (from left to right)
Coconut chicken w/spinach
Walnut sauce over grilled chicken
Chicken fajita bowl
- Grass fed beef (from left to right)
- Kale glow bowl (using coconut oil, beef instead of tempeh & coconut aminos in lieu of tamari/soy sauce)
- Steak w/kale, cauliflower “faux mashers” & coconut bread (faux mashers: 1 head of cauliflower steamed, blended with fresh horseradish, chicken broth, salt & pepper to taste)
- Thai red curry (we made it with chicken first, but preferred it with beef)
Kale glow bowl
Steak, kale, cauliflower, coconut bread
Thai red curry
- Ground lamb/ground chicken (from left to right)
Coconut lamb curry w/spinach & quinoa
Southwestern souffle w/kale salad & coconut bread
Layer 1: green chilies
Layer 2: ground chicken
Layer 3: avocado
Layer 4: green onions
Layer 5: egg mixture
I tried 3 or 4 recipes and they were fails – it’s near impossible to make a dessert without refined sugar, natural sugar, sugar substitutes or natural sugar fruits :( We did find success with this recipe though!
- Gluten free waffles w/”cacao” sauce (I only made 1/4 of this recipe, omitted the stevia & used almond butter to make the sauce), raspberry “syrup” (one package fresh raspberries food processed & lightly heated with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and 1-2 tbsp of filtered water) & coconut “cream” (full fat coconut milk, refrigerate overnight, scoop off the thick cream on top & just whisk!)
Gluten free waffle w/”cacao” sauce & raspberry “syrup”
Gluten free waffle, turkey sausage & skillet peppers/tomato/egg
Coconut milk “cream”
Whew ;) I think that covers it all! What are your favorite/go-to recipes so far in 2016?